Monday, January 28, 2013

Look What At What I Found!

 I came across our first "blog" post over on Hobby Farms magazine website. Little did we know in the spring of 2010 how deep into farming we were going. I love finding these little gems! (http://www.hobbyfarms.com/blog/ViewBio.aspx?apid=176572)



Our Farms Beginings
We moved into a home with 5 acres in 2006. My husband grew up on a farm and I grew up in a small city and had no experience past having a dog for a pet.

Our first year here we cleared a large plot for a garden (about 25x100). We were swimming in our harvest! The following year we bought some chicks at the fair along with a couple bunnies. A little more the next year and the next staying with the dogs, cats, chickens and bunnies.

This spring we decided to take a leap into more. We went from the six or so chicks we bought each year to eighteen future hens, thirty or so Cornish, four ducks, and two miniature horses. I also dug up a 10x10 garden plot for grapes, asparagus, blueberries, and a few more raspberries and strawberries.

In a couple weeks we will be buying a couple goats and hopefully have one for milk. My husband also has dreams of a "mini" cow. Who knows what else we may add in the next couple years.

Our four year old boy is destined to be a hobby farmer. He loves it all from the hard work to horse snuggles. Then there is a sweeter than pie, just turning seven year old, little girl. Oh, what she wouldn't do for her animals! Last, but not least, we have a twelve year old boy. He's giving us a hard time in school, but an all around great kid. He is really starting to come into the hobby farm life. I love all three to pieces!

I am not a perfect gardener. I would much rather be in the pool or driving my kids to summer activities than pulling weeds. Not to mention the mosquitoes that carry you away! I start the majority of my plants from seeds. What we harvest is eaten, canned or frozen and shared.

Boy, have I learned a lot in the past few years! We are loving the life we have!


04/29/2010 07:12.33 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment